Ryan’s Famous Five Cheese Macaroni with Dark Chocolate Cabernet Sauvignon
This recipe is all Ryan’s creation and was a huge hit at a chocolate event in Atlanta. I talked him into sharing the recipe since so many people were asking!
Photo Credit: Doctor Princess
4 Tbsp butter
4 Tbsp flour
1 3/4 c heavy cream
2 2/3 Tbsp Tabasco
2 tsp brown sugar
1 1/3 Tbsp ground mustard
2 tsp paprika
8 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 c sour cream
1 c shredded of each of the following cheeses: Manchego (8 month raw), Cabot Clothbound Cave Aged Cheddar, Cave Aged Gruyere, Parmigiano Reggiano, Pecorino Ginepro
4 slices Applewood smoked bacon, cooked and crumbled (optional)
1/2 c Dark Chocolate Cabernet wine jelly
salt and pepper to taste
1. Melt butter on medium/medium high heat.
2. Whisk in flour until a thick paste is formed.
3. Add in heavy cream, Tabasco, brown sugar, ground mustard, paprika, and garlic. Whisk well to mix all ingredients.
4. Once heated, whisk in sour cream.
5. Fold in 3/4 c each of Manchego, Cheddar, and Gruyere.
6. Once cheeses have melted, taste and add more cheese if desired.
7. Pour over pasta of your choice and mix well.
8. Cover with Parmigiano Reggiano and Pecorino Ginepro and crumbled bacon (if desired).
9. Bake at 400 for 10 minutes or until cheese forms a light brown crust.
10. Remove from heat and drizzle with Dark Chocolate Cabernet wine jelly
A few notes:
-We bought all of the cheeses at Whole Foods, just in case you can’t find them somewhere else.
-This recipe makes enough cheese sauce for 1 1/2 to 2 pounds of penne pasta.
-The original recipe also included 1 1/3 Tbsp of onion powder, but when we went to make the final batch, we realized we were out. So we just decided not to include it. But it does taste yummy if you want to add it in!
-The cheese was added at the very end to avoid overcooking it. Your sauce will end up greasy if you add the cheese in too soon.